Jules Hardouin-Mansart
French Baroque architect who glorified Louis XIV's reign.
Jules Hardouin-Mansart (16 April 1646 – 11 May 1708) was a French Baroque architect and builder whose monumental work was designed to glorify the reign of Louis XIV. He is best known for the Place des Victoires, Place Vendôme, the domed chapel of Les Invalides, and the Grand Trianon at the Palace of Versailles.
- born
- 16 April 1646
- died
- 11 May 1708
- field
- Architecture
- nationality
- French
- known_for
- Place des Victoires, Place Vendôme, domed chapel of Les Invalides, Grand Trianon
Lore & Background
Born Jules Hardouin in Paris in 1646, he studied under his great-uncle François Mansart, inheriting his plans and adding Mansart's name to his own in 1668. He began as a building entrepreneur with his brother Michel, then devoted himself to architecture in 1672. By 1674 he was a royal architect for Louis XIV, and his first major project was the Château de Clagny for Madame de Montespan. He gained protection from Madame de Montespan and later from the Marquis de Louvois, Minister of War. In 1677 he began working on the expansion of the Palace of Versailles, a project that occupied him for the rest of his life. He became a member of the Académie royale d'architecture, director of work at Versailles in 1678, First Architect of the King in 1681, was raised to the nobility in 1682, intendant of the King in 1685, and royal inspector-general of buildings in 1691, replacing Villacerf as superintendent in 1699. He was given the title Count of Sagonne in 1702 and died six months later at the royal Château de Marly.
Reader's Guide
Jules Hardouin-Mansart was the leading master of the Louis XIV style, or French classicism. His architecture is characterized by simplification, large smooth spaces, repetition of forms such as arcades with semicircular arches and detached columns, long horizontals, and detached open spaces. He used long rows of columns to give grandeur and hide structural irregularities, and employed architectural orders to add majesty to interiors, notably in the chapel of Versailles and the Grand Trianon. His ability to manage enormous, complex projects with many collaborators—including interior designer Charles Le Brun and successor Robert de Cotte—was key to his success. He could sketch an idea, intervene and adjust when needed, visit sites, and control budgets. His most famous work is the domed chapel of Les Invalides, consecrated in 1706. At Versailles, he completed the Hall of Mirrors, the Grand Commun, the Orangerie, the Grand Trianon, and the chapel. His legacy is that of an architect who adapted, modified, and enlarged buildings without losing their original character, while adding his own variations.
Did You Know?
- He added the name Mansart to his own in 1668 after inheriting his great-uncle's collection of plans and drawings.
- He was raised to the nobility in 1682 and given the title Count of Sagonne in 1702.
- He took over construction of Les Invalides in 1676 after the King dismissed the previous architect, Libéral Bruant.
- His final project at Versailles was the chapel, built from 1699 to 1710.
More in Artists & Composers (2)
Elsewhere in the Historical Figures universe
Spotted an error? Know more?
This is a living reference — every entry is fact-audited, and reader corrections feed straight into our audit queue. Suggest an edit · See this site's audit record
